You've heard of LAMP, JAM, and MEAN, but what is the PLONK stack? And why should you be considering it for your Cloud Native Applications instead of working directly with Kubernetes YAML?
The PLONK Stack
PLONK is a cloud native stack for application developers and an acronym that stands for:
- Prometheus - metrics and time-series
- Linux/Linkerd* - OS or service mesh (Linkerd is optional)
- OpenFaaS - management and auto-scaling of compute - PaaS/FaaS, a developer-friendly abstraction on top of Kubernetes
- NATS - asynchronous message bus / queue
- Kubernetes - declarative, extensible, scale-out, self-healing clustering
Serverless 2.0 represents a move away from proprietary SaaS systems and embraces the leading open source projects from the CNCF landscape. Portability is offered through the use of a runtime contract and a Docker image. If your code conforms to the contract, it's fair game as a workload.
Watch my talk
Watch "Getting Started with the PLONK Stack and Serverless 2.0", recorded at KubeCon at the Serverless Summit.
Read up about PLONK
Connect with me and the community
Hire me for Cloud Native / Docker / Go / CI & CD or Kubernetes
Could you use some help with a difficult problem, an external view on a new idea or project? Perhaps you would like to build a technology proof of concept before investing more? Get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org or book a session with me on calendly.com/alexellis.